1. Duplicate IRN: One of the common errors is Duplicate IRN, with error code 2150. As it is not possible to generate multiple IRNs for the same combination of supplier GSTIN, doc. Type, doc. No. and fin. Year, once the IRN is generated, subsequent request to generate IRN with same request will throw an error saying duplicate IRN. For the benefit of the user, in case they have failed to receive the response when the IRN is generated for the first time, subsequent attempt to generate IRN with same payload would return the details of the IRN already generated. Using this information, one can get the complete details of the E Invoice.
• Once the IRN is generated, the response should be saved and a flag should be updated against the invoice to indicate that the IRN is generated against this document and should not be used again to call the API.
• Even if the user is not able to receive the response after getting the IRN generated, the second attempt itself will provide the IRN details along with the error response. The response includes the IRN number, time of generation of IRN, act. No. The IRN number from the same may be used to get the further details of the E Invoice using the Get IRN details API
• So, there should not be more than 2 requests with same request payload to generate the IRN
2. Duplicate requests: It is observed that there are simultaneous requests (received at the server exactly at the same instance of time). This will create an application error. Since each request is a new request at that point of time, duplicate check passes and system tries to save all IRNs and then it fails to save other request data except one. Similar issue is applicable for authentication requests where separate tokens will be generated resulting in ‘Invalid Token’ error.
• Take care of not to fire same request payloads simultaneously.
• Though the server responds within a second, it is always advisable to use same request payload after few seconds.
• If multiple client applications or multiple client systems or threads are being used, care should be taken to avoid picking same payload by more than one application or system or thread.
3. Inactive GSTIN or GSTIN not available: Multiple requests with same payload having same inactive GSTINs / non existing GSTINs. The API continues to give the same error response unless the GSTIN is corrected or the respective GSTIN data is synced between GSTN Common portal and E Invoice System.
Resolution: The user has to check the correctness of the GSTIN used and check whether the GSTIN is active on the day of the document date. If yes, still the problem continues, the GSTIN has to be synced in E Invoice system from the GSTN common portal using the following alternatives
• In case there is a response with error code 3028 or 3029, the correct ness of the GSTIN should be checked on the E Invoice portal → Search → Tax payer and if required use the option “Update from GST Common Portal”
• Use “Get GSTIN Details” API to check the availability and status of the GSTIN and if required, use the “Sync GSTIN details from Common Portal” API to sync the data between GSTN and E Invoice system for the given GSTIN
4. PIN Code does not belong to given State Code: The PIN code given does not belong to the state provided. The correct PIN codes and State code combination should be provided wherever applicable
1. “Pincode -846008 of Buyer does not belong to his/her State - 6 ” – State code should have been 10
2. “Pincode -670101 of Buyer does not belong to his/her State - 29” – State code should have been 32
3. “Pincode -635109 of Buyer does not belong to his/her State - 29” – State code should have been 33
• State-wise PIN code list, as per E-Invoice database is available for download in MS Excel file at E Invoice portal → Search → Master Codes.
• The same may be downloaded incorporated in the user application
• User has to send correct combination of PIN code and State Codes
5. Invalid HSN Code: Many requests are received where the HSN code is wrong or does not exist.
1. “HSN code(s)-39200000 is invalid” Should have been 3920
2. “HSN code(s)-73170000 is invalid” Should have been 7317
3. “HSN code(s)-94054099,94054000,85371099,39269000 is invalid” Wrong format
• The list of HSN codes used in the E Invoice system are available at E Invoice portal → Search → Master Codes.
• The HSN code should be sent as it is shown in the master list.
• There should not be prefixing zeros, if it is shown as 4/6 digit code, four/two more zeros should not be suffixed to make it 8 digit which does not exist in the master etc.
6. Invalid GSTINs